Sunday, September 7, 2014

DIY Star/Sun Mirror

Star/Sun Mirrors are super cute and super simple to make. Normally, I am one that would go to Target or Anthropologie and just buy one, but I really wanted to do some sort of easy crafty project this week. So I decided to make one and it was all for $10.00!  Among JoAnn's, The Anderson's, and Michael's, I bought all the supplies.



Supply List:
- Paint Pallet Sticks x 40ish (The Andersons)
- Wooden Wreath  (Michael's)
- Gold or Silver Spray Paint (The Andersons)
- Elmer's Wood Glue (JoAnn's)
- Sand Paper (The Andersons) 
- Big Pot of Water

BEFORE GLUING anything to the wreath...I recommend sanding the paint sticks down to remove the clear coating that the manufactures put on the paint sticks to prevent paint absorption.  Don't spend a great deal of time on this because you could drive your self crazy doing this. (I spent about 10 seconds for each paint stick and the paint stuck just fine!)

After sanding all the paint sticks down, I  glued one layer of paint sticks down and then set a big pot of water on top (acts like a clamp) until the glue dried.  After this layer dried, I added another layer and then repeated this again for a third time. One you have this "crazy looking wooden glued paint stick star like thing"...say that three times fast...you are ready to paint!

 

I took my crazy paint stick star out to the backyard (do this the day you are planning on mowing the grass so your grass doesn't turn gold for too long).   I applied several THIN coats of paint to mine. Once the paint dried, I glued a smaller wood circle on to the middle with the wood glue so that the mirror would be level.

Once the wood smaller circle was in place and the mirror circle was glued in place, I hung my beautiful mirror! :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment