Saturday, September 13, 2014

Animal Kingdom Classification Tree Project

Well, I have to admit that I am not a science teacher by any means. I am a teacher, but not a science teacher.  I  can plan lessons, stay organized (well 90% of the time), and provide something for students to do.

This year, I have been given the opportunity to teach math, science, and social studies to 6th grade.  Math is my concentration and obviously the easiest for me. However, I thought science wouldn't be too difficult since it has a lot of connection with math and it is very black and white...well I was wrong..science in 6th grade is very difficult if you have no idea what they are learning! Right now, I am teaching them about the biosphere, adaptation, and classification.  I remember doing all of this in 6th grade but to actually TEACH this material....it has been much more of a challenge than I thought.


Anyways, I have really been struggling finding assignments for them to do independently that go along with what we are learning. I don't have a teacher's manual so I have been working hard at creating my own lessons and Googling like crazy for ideas.


ANIMAL KINGDOM TREE 


 



Since we are working on classifying animals and plants, I noticed on many websites that they use a tree to classify animals. I took this idea and drew a tree that had two main branches (finding a FREE image like this on Google was much more difficult than I thought) with several smaller branches connected to the main parts of the tree.

Then using this image, I wrote vertebrates and invertebrates on the main two branches and made copies for my students.

Together in class, we wrote the 5 vertebrate categories on the left side of the tree and then the 6 invertebrate categories on the right side of the tree.  After this, we listed the specific categories on the smaller branches and on a separate sheet of paper wrote short descriptions of each category. Then, for homework, I gave the students a variety of clip art images of different organisms. They had to cut these images out and glue them on to the correct branch/category.  :)


I posted the blank tree if anyone is interested. This tree could be used for several different lessons/activities. It is basic but yet could cover a lot of material! :) Please feel free to print it and use it! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment